O’Malley served as Project Manager for the Commonwealth of MA for several major IT projects from 1986 to 2014, including the following:
- New ANF COTS budget application to replace aging, custom-built budget development and planning application for the Commonwealth’s annual $36B budget. The project included: software acquisition, selection of consultant services to configure software to meet ANF business and technical specifications, deployment planning and implementation to 1200 end users. The new application is now used by 156 agencies to produce the Governor’s Budget (House 1) and spending plans that monitor actual vs. projected spending. Responsibilities included: developing RFQs; managing the vendor selection process; managing timelines, deliverables, resource deployment and project budget ($14M); coordinating and managing consultant and ANF staff responsible for defining requirements, software design and build, software testing; and planning and managing implementation to end users.
- ITD Strategic Initiative on Enhanced Procurement, one of four projects designed to promote an enterprise approach to IT management and purchasing across Commonwealth executive departments. Responsibilities included: developing and implementing improved data collection on IT expenditures, identifying and implementing opportunities to aggregate IT procurements across secretariats to achieve savings, implementing enterprise licensing for IT products, streamlining IT procurement rules in conjunction with oversight agencies, recommending resources needed to support consolidation of procurement activities and coordinating enterprise procurement with other components of the IT Consolidation Initiative per Executive Order 510.
- Enterprise Invoice Management/Enterprise Service Management (EIM/ESM) System, a custom built outward facing web service on EOHHS portal (Virtual Gateway). EIM/ESM manages over $1.5B in service delivery reporting/billing for EOHHS agencies and 1100 provider organizations. Project completed in June 2009. Total project budget in excess of $40M.
- Registry of Motor Vehicles IT initiatives including management of bid solicitation process/vendor selection for foreign language translations of drivers’ examinations, program coordination of three eCommerce projects to add new web based payment options to current RMV methods of payment, expansion of Uninsured Motorist System to support improvements to current registration revocations process and development of federal grant application for replacement of commercial vehicle registration system.
- NewMMARS Project. Replaced 17 year old state mainframe financial accounting system with web-based product. Technical architecture consists of 6 IBM p690 servers with an AIX platform, using an Oracle database. Project completed on time and under budget and currently in use by 153 state agencies and over 3000 staff. Total project budget of $60M.
She also served as Assistant Commissioner for Administrative Services for major state agency with annual budget of $500M+. Managed four central office units (50 staff) and set policy for budgeting, revenue collection, contracting and accounting for six regional offices, 24 area offices and 19 mental health facilities across Commonwealth. Planning and implementing federal revenue generation projects (department revenues increased $23M in FY 1991 over FY 1990, a 100% increase). Directed budget of $800M+ for combined mental health and mental retardation agency. Coordinated fiscal planning for separation of agency into two agencies, Department of Mental Health (DMH) and Department of Mental Retardation (DMR), per legislative mandate.